Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Home Goals for 2011: Living Room

We've accomplished A LOT in the living room since moving in 11 years ago. This is what it looked like when we moved in. Notice the ceiling fan and separate light fixture? Not sure what they were thinking here. Also notice a very tired brother-in-law sitting on the floor. He helped us move in on that very hot and humid day.
And this is what it looks like today. We painted the wood paneling, installed a ceiling fan with a light and installed hardwood floors. I would really, really like to get rid of the massive TV cabinet. It's entirely too big for the room and I know my husband would really like a flat panel TV on that wall. But I think they're like a billion dollars for the size he wants so we will see about that. (Don't worry, I already removed the fake tree and the baskets on the armoire!)
I would also like to paint the wood trim around the top of the paneling to make the wall look taller and more cohesive instead of broken up. I may even scrape off the popcorn texture at the top of the wall but I hear it's messy and time consuming so that will have to be a day when I'm feeling super inspired!
Here's the fireplace view. The first thing I did to this room was remove the 20 year old drapes and shades off the french doors. By doing so it let in tons of natural light and made the room look tent times bigger. OK, maybe not 10 times bigger but a lot bigger, OK.
Here are the built-ins we painted Herbal Wash by Sherwin Williams. We also replaced the wood shelves with glass to allow more light to pass through and brighten up the space.
The first thing I would like to do is beef up that skinny orangey oak mantle so I can actually put things on it without them falling off. Seriously, it is so skinny I can barely put a candle on it without the edge hanging off. Plus I don't think it really goes with the style of the house. I'm thinking something a little manlier like this would do the trick.source: unknown
Here's the other side of the room. We've had this same setup for a while now except for the new lampshades and area rug so it's time for a change! I'm thinking some new artwork and new pillows for the sofa to add a splash of color and personality. Plus, I think the black side table on the left is a bit small for the room so I'm on the hunt for something a little chunkier. I'm also thinking a grouping of mirrors over the sofa might be a good idea to help reflect some of the natural light coming in from the french doors.

So what do you think of my goals for my living room? Any suggestions??
Next Goal: Hall Bath

No comments:

Post a Comment